Cigars are considered to be the element of luxury. Many smoking admirers find cigars as a sign of royalty. Aging a cigar means that the flavor of the cigar will continue to improve up to ten years if kept in a properly maintained humidor. Although after ten years the cigars do not show improvement.
The tobacco is cured, processed and fermented and aged for a few years before they are rolled. After that, the hand rolled cigars are kept in a closed container for some more years. The aging time varies, depending on the manufacturers and other factors.
The aging of hand rolled cigars is a very important factor in the overall flavor and body. Whether you smoke a young cigar or an older one, the taste will be different. The age of cigar can be measured with the wrinkles around it or you can see it by the ID given on the cigar box. The aged cigars are said to provide the exceptional smoke.
While considering the age of cigars in a humidor, there are few factors that should be kept in mind. These factors are as follows:
- The cigars should be aged only for a few weeks if you are hoping to get a new or freshly rolled type of flavor.
- Experts agree that most of the cigars have a better taste on their first birthday.
- The high quality cigars that initially tastes bad, when taken out of the bundle can improve dramatically after aging.
- Two years old cigar is best to smoke as its flavors are on the peak.
- The cigars that are filled completely will continue to mature and improve more with long term aging, compared to mildly filled ones.
- Some cigars are aged to a decade to get the best flavor for smoking enthusiasts.
Every hand rolled cigar ages and tastes differently, even if they are in the same box or bundle. Though the age of cigar is an important factor when you want to enjoy the puffs and get the best out of the cigars, But age is not the only factor determining the best cigars. Some cigars still offer a fully unique and enjoyable flavor without being aged.
The age of a cigar is just a guideline to know about it. Keeping age aside it really comes down to individual opinions and tastes. It is possible that you may like a certain brand of cigars right out of the box, without any aging. Browse this link if you want to know some tips on how to smoke a cigar and get the best out of it.